All, I've got a first attempt at an updated man page for osh (the pull request is https://github.com/oilshell/oil/pull/337). Any feedback would be appreciated. But while I can start copying from the markdown notes that are being maintained by the main author, what's a normal/reasonable workflow for updating man pages? For example, are there any recommended ways to generate/keep up to date command line flags based upon source code, or is the convention to handle those by hand? Thanks, Matt On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:54 AM Ingo Schwarze wrote: > Hi Jan, > > Jan Stary wrote on Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 04:27:14PM +0200: > > On Jun 14 14:29:41, schwarze@usta.de wrote: > > >> The following may or may not work, not sure though: > >> - SUN Solaris 10 and older > > > I can atest to Solaris 11.3 (SunOS 5.11) > > happily runing all recent releases of mandoc. > > While certainly true, that wasn't the question, though; > building and running mandoc works even on Solaris 9 (= SunOS 5.9) > and on AIX; not sure whether HP-UX was ever tested. > > The question was on which systems the native man(1) utility > might be unable to cope with manual pages in mdoc(7) format. > > According to my testing on the OpenCSW cluster, the native man(1) > does handle mdoc(7) input on Solaris 11.3, which is no surprise > because the manual page of Solaris 11.3 man(1) says: > > Source Format > Reference Manual pages are marked up with either nroff (see groff(1)) > or SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) tags (see sgml(5)). The > man command recognizes the type of markup and processes the file > accordingly. > > In contrast, it appears that Solaris 10 did not yet use groff by > default for manual page display. That's why is said that Solaris 10 > might still need versions of manual pages converted from mdoc(7) > to man(7). > > Yours, > Ingo > -- > To unsubscribe send an email to discuss+unsubscribe@mandoc.bsd.lv > >