discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: nabijaczleweli@nabijaczleweli.xyz
Cc: discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: .Bl -tag -width ".mdoc macro" not recognised sometimes(?)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 12:08:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Nab,

Nab wrote on Sun, Jun 05, 2022 at 10:16:37PM +0200:

> It's /incredibly/ useful for printing to PDF (and replaces banging out
> the fonts and funny spaces manually in the -width argument),
> but the value add for nroff is little (since every character in every
> font is the same size; still pretty nice to not have to manually render
> the macros though).

Sure, i understand why you want to maintain a single mdoc(7) source
that yields good results with all of the following processors:

 * groff -T pdf
 * groff -T utf8
 * mandoc -T utf8
 * mandoc -T html

After all, that's the point of output-device-independent markup, isn't it?

> This whole segment is taken directly from groff_mdoc(7) off Bullseye,

Ouch.  People *will* see it there and imitate it, which does rise
the priority even more, quite apart from FreeBSD also needing it.

I'm already planning to fix the simple case of having a *single* macro
at the beginning in the not-to-distant future (which i classified as
"loc *  exist *  algo *  size *  imp ***").  Maybe there is also some
way to discard child macros in the middle without implementing
a full diversion style solution (which i classified as "loc ***
exist ***  algo ***  size **  imp ***").  We shall see...

[...]
> this includes mandoc:
> -- >8 --
> mdocml_1.14.6-1/TODO

My memory was never particularly good, but it looks like it is getting
worse...  :-/
Which only makes keeping the TODO file well-maintained more important.

> [1]: https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=-width+%22.&literal=1

I regularly use CDN when working on library code written in C,
but it didn't so far occur to me that it's just as useful to look
for documentation markup in mdoc(7) and man(7).  Thanks for
that idea!

Yours,
  Ingo