discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Yuri Pankov <yuripv@gmx.com>
To: mdocml-discuss <discuss@mdocml.bsd.lv>
Subject: text wrapping in Bl -column
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 01:01:44 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a table with "Bl -column", and have a problem with
text not being wrapped at the column length (example below).  Am I
missing something here, or is that just how the "Bl -column" works?

BTW, the following sentence in mdoc(7) doesn't seem to be correct, at
least I'm seeing that it works in example below:

"Ta is only recognised as a macro when called by other macros, not as
the first macro on a line."

.Dd June 29, 2017
.Dt TEST 1
.Os
.Sh NAME
.Nm test
.Nd test
.Sh DESCRIPTION
.Bl -column "widthforthecolumn" "widthforthecolumn" "widthforthecolumn"
.It MESSAGE Ta DESCRIPTION Ta NOTES
.It
Some text for the first column that should be wrapped
.Ta
Some text for the second column that should be wrapped
.Ta
Some text for the third column that should be wrapped
.El

renders as (mandoc 1.14.1 with -Owidth=72):

TEST(1)                       User Commands                      TEST(1)

NAME
      test – test

DESCRIPTION
      MESSAGE              DESCRIPTION          NOTES
      Some text for the first column that should be wrapped
                           Some text for the second column that should be
                           wrapped              Some text for the third
                                                column that should be
                                                wrapped

illumos                       June 29, 2017                      illumos