tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: mdocml version 1.10.6 available
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:29:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Kristaps,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:44:44AM +0200:

> These TODOs were really the low-hanging fruit, however.
> The block stuff and the dreaded Bl-tab issues remain.

Yes, many of the TODOs are not terribly urgent, but good to keep
track of anyway.

Then ones i hear more complaints about are:

- In .Bl -column,
  .It Em Authentication<tab>Key Length
  ought to render "Key Length" with emphasis, too,
  see OpenBSD iked.conf(5).

- in enclosures, mandoc sometimes fancies a bogus end of sentence
  reminded by jmc@  Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:13:39 +0059
 (Actually, that is a crime i committed, but i'm now focussing
  on exit codes because we need precision in that area for ports.)

- The characters "|" and "\*(Ba" should never be bold,
  not even in the middle of a word, e.g. ".Cm b\*(Bac" in
  "mknod [-m mode] name b|c major minor"
  in OpenBSD ksh(1)

> I want to focus on some structural changes in 1.10.7, such as
> throwing out {mdoc,man}_action in favour of validate.

Yes, i agree that is sane, even though it will cause churn.
We don't need two files for the same task.

Sounds good, jmc@ also stumbled on that one.

> I'm also going to push around some header code as talked about quite
> some time ago.

If that is what i think you are talking about, i'm looking forward
to it, even though it will cause more churn.
But having utilities available everywhere will pay off.

I somehow feel the splitting of the code into three libraries -
even though theory likes libraries for reasons of reusability and
modularisation - to be more of a liability than an asset when
regarded from a point of view of getting practical work done...
At least we need to sort it such that stuff is available where
it is needed.

> Ingo & Joerg, do the downstream mdoclint scripts have any warnings
> that mandoc doesn't?  Beyond the `Pp' stuff I just added to the TODO
> (more low-hanging fruit).

Hmm, i'm planning to check - and, where needed, adjust - the warnings
and errors mandoc already has before looking at mdoclint in order
to add new ones.  There is no problem, though, with somebody starting
to look at mdoclint in parallel.

> I'm fine with all of these patches (and embarrassed I didn't catch
> them myself---especially the Pp insertion in mdoc.c, ouch!).

No sweat.  Hopefully, few people use double blank lines outside
literal mode, end ever fewer will suffer from losing half of them.

Yours,
  Ingo