tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: 1.11.7 minor issues
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:41:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Kristaps,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:10:55AM +0200:

> I'm fine with this.

Thanks for looking, i have put it in.

> Is there some place in {mdoc,man}(7) where we should be noting this?

So far, we say very little about how specific input will be physically
formatted, we rather document how the input should look like with
respect to syntax and semantics.

That said, mentioning this might make sense, so i have taken a note
in my private TODO file (i don't think it warrants a public TODO
entry).

The upcoming reordering should be done first.  Also, this is a
typical case where mdoc(7) and man(7) and even other macro packages
behave the same way, so it belongs more in roff(7).  I still hope
that we can move common stuff there, pointing to it where required,
to avoid duplication and make mdoc(7) and man(7) shorter.

> It seems that a few words regarding
> hyphenation would be useful, to wit, noting that hyphens will not
> break within a macro in mdoc(7), but will in a regular text context,
> and the conditions for such breakage.

Yes, we should probably return to that at some point.

Yours,
  Ingo