tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
Cc: Alexis <surryhill@gmail.com>, tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Allow configure variables to be set from environment
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 01:35:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Kristaps,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 01:21:52AM +0100:

> I think this is a bad idea: there shouldn't be conditionals in the
> code for every half-baked package manager out there,

Right now, it doesn't seem execessive to me:  It's two places,
two lines each.  There is stuff that causes more pain, for
example the many lines "#if HAVE_SQLITE3" in main.c.

> especially when they introduce security holes.

Well, the way i did it does not cause security holes.

> If there are other "linking" systems out there, then something like
> this might be useful.  But right now, homebrew is alone.
>
> Alexis, you said that the homebrew folks don't like patching
> software. But there must be a facility to do so, no?
> Shouldn't this patch be there, and not upstream?

I'm not quite sure that is better.  If we have the patch in our
tree, the risk that future code changes turn the patch into
something that actually *does* become a security risk seems
lower.

Also note that mdocml.bsd.lv *is* the portable version of mandoc,
so in the way, it is the right place to maintain such code - as
long as it doesn't grow out of hand and obscure the code.

You can be assured that i won't add such patches to the master
copy at cvs.openbsd.org...  ;-)

Yours,
  Ingo