tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
To: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
Cc: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: Fwd: Small fixes for ssh.1 and ssh_config.5, OpenSSH_7.2p2
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:38:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 07:11:14PM +0200:

> I still haven't checked the OpenBSD version of OpenSSH, but i have
> seen your message on their ML (via Gmane) and there you correctly
> state what \& is far, it is used to avoid (mis)interpretation of "!".
> So it should be before that, not thereafter.

Non sequitur.

In many languages, you escape characters by placing something before
them.  But that isn't true in roff.  In some contexts of roff, you can
escape stuff by putting something *after* it.

>>> and that mandoc falsely does the correct thing, if that is possible.
>> Mandoc correctly does the correct thing.
> The CVS version now does.

Now you confuse me completely.  During the last few years, i changed
nothing in the mandoc code we are talking about.  So how can the
version of mandoc matter?

>> some people find it more intuitive to put the "\&" afterwards to
>> express that the character is not ending a sentence (i.e. is not a
>> delimiter).

> A bug.

No, that practice is just fine.
I don't understand why you keep calling it a bug.

> The visible flyspeck in the manuals of the portable version
> springs into the eye and drives you up the wall.  Bah.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  Which formatter are you
using?  Which output does it generate for which input?

Yours,
  Ingo