On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 08:31:58AM -0600, Anthony J. Bentley wrote: > Baptiste Daroussin FreeBSD writes: > > > P.S. > > > It seems likely that this will be the last release needing SQLite > > > for database support. I have started work on removing the dependency > > > on SQLite without loss of functionality and without needing any > > > replacement, relying on POSIX interfaces only. So it is likely > > > that we will have a 1.14.1 release this autumn that no longer needs > > > SQLite. > > > > Tell me more, I'm really interestedin that, is there a place were we can > > look at this work in progress code? > > Ingo sent an initial patch to the OpenBSD tech@ list a few days ago: > > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=146734380814620&w=2 > Thank you, Beside minor portability issues (that I will provide fixes for once this patch is official) I can say it works fine on FreeBSD :) Tested on FreeBSD 12-CURRENT: The 3 main "bad" feedbacks I got about mandoc was: - time to create the db was long with sqlite with the new code it is longer: does from 4s to 11s in general for the base manpages but I do not consider that as a big issue given it is not run that often and the code is quite new and there are probably room of improvements - size of the db (for embedded). With the new code: 3.8M /usr/share/man/mandoc.db 1.6M /usr/share/man/mandoc.new.db This is a big improvement - apropos can be very slow before showing anything, with the new code, it is instant! old 'apropos ls': 8.67 real 3.63 user 5.03 sys new 'apropos ls': 0.02 real 0.02 user 0.00 sys I notice some memory corruption in the ouput of apropos, I haven't dig into it yet Great work, I'm eager to see that code in! Best regards, Bapt