tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Discrepancy in mansearch and fs_lookup behavior
@ 2021-08-30 19:26 Sören Tempel
From: Sören Tempel @ 2021-08-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech

Hello!

I am currently working on rearranging the Alpine Linux POSIX and Perl
man pages to make them work properly without mandoc. For some historic
reason, Alpine presently install these as follows:

	/usr/share/man/man3/open.3pm.gz
	/usr/share/man/man3/open.3p.gz

where 3pm is the perl open man page and 3p is the POSIX open man page.
With this setup `man 3p open` will always open the Perl man page and
there seems to be no way to open the POSIX man page. Looking at the
fs_lookup implementation I believe this to be the case because mandoc
expects each section to have its own subdirectory in MANDIR. I am also
aware that OpenBSD uses the 3p section for Perl man pages which is a bit
confusing but probably Alpine's fault.

My present understanding is that this would have to be fixed on the
Alpine side by moving these man pages to their own subdirectory. Please
let me know if there is an alternative solution. While experimenting
with moving these pages, I noticed a discrepancy in the man page lookup
behavior of mansearch and fs_lookup. Assuming the above man pages are
installed as follows:

	/usr/share/man/man3/open.3pm.gz
	/usr/share/man/man3p/open.3p.gz

if a mandoc.db exists, `man 3p open` will display the Perl (open.3pm.gz)
man page (mansearch). If it doesn't (fs_lookup), it will display the
POSIX man page (open.3p.gz). I find this surprising as I would expect
the two algorithms to be equivalent. I am reporting this here as I
believe this to be a "minor bug" that doesn't interest the majority of
mandoc users.

See also: https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/12958

Greetings,
Sören