tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: "J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir@imca-cat.org>
To: tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: mdoc(7) for technical docs beyond man pages?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 20:44:09 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello!

few weeks thinking that it would be the better place to post this
message, but I was never approved by the gatekeepers, so posting here
instead.)

Is mdoc(7) intended for all technical documentation, or just man pages?

I came across the article "docbook2mdoc-1.0.0 released" from 2019

  https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20190419101505

and was surprised to read this paragraph:

  DocBook intends to provide authors of technical documentation, in
  particular about computer software, with a system of semantic markup.
  So far, that's an excellent idea.  It's exactly the same goal which
  the mdoc(7) language pursues, too.

Up until now, I had thought that mdoc(7) was intended for man pages
only, but the above article seems to suggest not.  For example, would
it be within the intended purpose to write large technical documents in
mdoc(7) such as the NetBSD Guide

  https://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/index.html

the PostgreSQL Documentation

  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/index.html

(both of which are written in DocBook), or Practical UNIX Manuals: mdoc

  https://manpages.bsd.lv/mdoc.html

(which is written in HTML)?  If so, are there tools for generating such
documentation from mdoc(7)?

Thank you!

Lewis