tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Cc: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>,
	Jason McIntyre <jmc@cava.myzen.co.uk>,
	Tim van der Molen <tbvdm@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: clean up date handling
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 00:51:52 +0100	[thread overview]

On 05/03/2011 20:27, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Jason McIntyre wrote on Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 07:52:50AM +0001:
>> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:15:40AM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> +Other arguments are not portable; the
>>> +.Xr mandoc 1
>>> +utility handles them as follows:
>>> +.Bl -dash -offset 3n -compact
>>> +.It
>>> +To have the date automatically filled in by
>>>   .Xr cvs 1 ,
>>> -or instead a valid canonical date as specified by
>>> -.Sx Dates .
>>> -If a date does not conform or is empty, the current date is used.
>>> +the special string
>>> +.Dq $\&Mdocdate$
>>> +can be given as an argument.
>
>> shouldn;t you mention this is openbsd only?
>
> Yes, that makes sense.
> However, it's just OpenBSD's cvs(1) that is special,
> mandoc(1) can handle $Mdocdate$ on any platform,
> so i will use this wording:
>
>    To have the date automatically filled in by the
>    .Ox
>    version of
>    .Xr cvs 1 ,
>    the special string
>    .Dq $\&Mdocdate$
>    can be given as an argument.
>
> I have fixed your other findings in my tree, so if this goes in,
> they will be contained.

Ingo,

I like these changes very much---I remember writing the date code in the
first versions of mandoc and being very puzzled with the canonical
format (hint: there is none).

I do feel that a "canonical" date format (or set of formats, e.g.,
YYYY-MM-DD, YYYY-MM, YYYY) should be suggested just so that people have
some direction, I agree that warning about it is superfluous.

So please check this in; when the code is committed I'll give it a
closer look-over and we can go from there.

Thanks again,

Kristaps