tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Cc: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>, Jason McIntyre <jmc@cava.myzen.co.uk>
Subject: Re: fill gaps in arch.in and lib.in
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:14:52 +0200	[thread overview]

On 16/10/2011 18:10, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Jason McIntyre wrote on Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 04:53:55PM +0059:
>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 05:06:30PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>
>>> while looking at groff, i noticed that our arch.in is swiss cheese.
>>> I'm quite sure we want to be able to properly render manuals from
>>> other operating systems, even on platforms that OpenBSD does not
>>> run on, so i'm asking for OKs for the patch below.
>>>
>>> What i added here is:
>>>   - missing OpenBSD architectures, even if they are still
>>>     work in progress (beagle, ia64, palm)
>
>> beagle was removed, no (under the "never again" banner, if memory
>> serves).
>
> I doubt that; look at
>
>    http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html
>    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/beagle/dev/prcm.c
>
> It is listed below "Active porting efforts", the code is not
> in the Attic, and miod@ committed beagle-only fixes a few weeks
> ago.
>
>> for me, i want to know what platforms are valid on the os i'm writing
>> on. as an openbsd user, i don;t care what netbsd supports (and vice
>> versa, i'm sure). what will you do when other systems start using mandoc?
>>
>> i think there is a need for local changes here. i dislike listing
>> everything. i would also dislike listing nothing.
>
> That makes a lot of sense, it seems you are right that maintaining
> local documantation changes is less effort and much more useful here
> than trying to serve the same docs to everyone.
>
> Thus, if i get an OK from tech@mdocml, i'm going to commit the
> code changes to bsd.lv and openbsd.org, but leave the manuals
> alone.

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for doing this research!  It looks fine with me---the arch patch,
I mean.

As for the manual page, perhaps we can narrow it down to the "big ones"
and simply mention that most others modern platforms are supported?  The
big ones being i386, amd64, sparc, sparc64---whatever.  I agree that a
Big List is a bad idea, as well as listing nothing.  This would strike a
nice balance.

Thanks,

Kristaps