tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Cc: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
Subject: Re: post-p2k11 resync
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:27:10 +0100	[thread overview]

On 26/11/2011 17:57, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the OpenBSD part of the resync is done (well, there are still a few
> minor patches outside the mandocsb/apropos area, i'll resend those
> later).
>
> Here is the bsd.lv part, mostly removing trivial differences and
> cleaning up whitespace.  But there are a few real issues:
>
>   * -M overrides MANPATH, not the other way round;
>     -m _prepends_ to the path, it doesn't _append_.
>     That was both implemented and documented the wrong way.
>
>   * MANPATH is colon-separated, not comma-separated;
>     the implementation is correct, the manual in part wrong.
>
>   * apropos.c doesn't need ctype.h any longer.
>
>   * The apropos(1) usage() has -M and -m "path", not "dirs",
>     just type "apropos -x" on an OpenBSD system.
>
>   * I fear removing the database close calls from the dir loop
>     in mandocdb(8) main because of file descriptor leaks;
>     or am i missing something?
>
>   * manpath.c needs sys/types.h because of size_t.

Ingo,

Great---ok kristaps!  As you can see, I tried to shove all of the
MANPATH handling into manpath_parse(), which should set everything up
from MANPATH, -m, -M, and man.conf/manpath(1) (which, yes, is extremely
ugly).  Only man.cgi doesn't use manpath_parse() because it reads
manup's configuration file.  By the way, catman is fine by me as a name;
I didn't even know it existed.  I'll look more into it later.

Incidentally, I still think there's a case for MANPATH acting like -m as
mentioned before.  How else does one maintain a private manual tree?
Using "-m" each time man(1) is invoked is ugly.

Best,

Kristaps