Hi, Enclosed is a patch to mandocdb(8) that lists index filenames relative to their database directory instead of absolute. In other words, /usr/local/man/man1/foo.1 -> man1/foo.1 This frees up a lot of space in the databases and also allows whole subtrees to move around with `cp -R'. While here, I made chdir() error out since it's now required to traverse the paths. I also touched up this and that, and removed some missed "verb > 2" statements. apropos(1) and whatis(1) work fine with this patch (except my "interactive mode" posted to discuss@, eagerly awaiting your comments), but catman(8) and man.cgi(7) will need adjustment. Thoughts? Kristaps