tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv>
To: Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de>
Cc: tech@mdocml.bsd.lv
Subject: More Valgrind Errors
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 12:21:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Ingo,

Committed, thanks!

Another mystery, still on HEAD.  (And in the many Mac OSX manuals, this
is the end of what I found.)  Consider the following manual (reduced
from groff.7 around line 404, where the leak was originally found):

.TH GROFF 7 "16 February 2005" "Groff Version 1.19.2"
.SH NAME
groff \- a short reference for the GNU roff language
.SH DESCRIPTION
.RS
.P
.RE
hello, world

valgrind notes that the RS body is never freed ("indirectly lost", in
its parlance).  In looking closely, the -Ttree output just isn't quite
right (clipped for the screen):

root (root) 0:1
	SH (block) *2:2
		SH (block-head) 2:2
			NAME (text) 2:5
		SH (block-body) 2:2
			groff \- ... (text) *3:1
	SH (block) *4:2
		SH (block-head) 4:2
			DESCRIPTION (text) 4:5
		SH (block-body) 4:2
			RS (block) *5:2
				hello, world (text) *8:1

I'm afraid I don't have the time to dive into this right now--any ideas
on this behaviour?

Meanwhile, I'm running through the manuals again and will then do the
same with the 1.12 branch.

Best,

Kristaps