tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
From: sternenseemann <sternenseemann@systemli.org>
To: tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
Subject: Re: makewhatis: segfault in dbadd when using -a
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 17:52:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Ingo,

On 9/6/21 16:50, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> So, an acceptable way to support this probably exists, using the
> FTS_FOLLOW option of the function fts_set(3).  That isn't completely
> trivial in this code which is already somewhat convoluted, but it
> should not be excessively complicated either.

That's good to hear!

> Besides, i need to limit the difficulty of changes i'm doing right
> now or i will never get the next release out of the door.  So i
> decided to postpone this particular feature until after release,
> see the commit below.

That's no problem and I agree that it should probably be prioritize in
this way. It only affects a few, albeit annoying cases and there is a
reasonable workaround for it. Also I'm still (as far as I can tell) the
only user of mandoc's whatis db on NixOS since I haven't yet gotten
around to upstreaming my module / been waiting for a release.

Also one small clarification:

 > It doesn't matter that on first sight, this whole approach feels quite
 > fragile to me.  Isn't that going to blow up in horrible ways as soon as
 > somebody creates a package that also uses "man3p"?  For example, on
 > OpenBSD, "man3p" is used for manuals of Perl library functions.

The symlink manpath is immutable in NixOS, so it will be recreated from
scratch if the list of installed packages changes. Thus this is not an
issue.

Cheers, Lukas