On 8/9/22 2:36 PM, Ingo Schwarze wrote: > Salut Eldred, Well, I hope you will forgive my lack of response for a month and a half. I've been busy elsewhere, and this email got buried under many others. Apologies. > It's also nice to see you using the mdoc(7) language for your manual > pages. Blame bentley for that. I think he originally wrote the man pages, and I think they provide good defaults that are more convenient than directly messing with groff formatting, so I use it for all my (admittedly few) man pages. > You might also consider using "mandoc -T lint" on your manual > pages, it produces a lot of output. Even if you don't care about > STYLE messages, at least running "mandoc -T lint -W warning" would > make sense, for example: It does make sense, and I do run this from time to time. The warnings haven't been fixed mainly because they seemed harmless/false positives, but this seems like a good occasion to discuss them, if you want. > mandoc: rgbgfx.1:168:2: WARNING: skipping empty macro: Sy I'm not really sure what this is pointing out. > mandoc: rgbgfx.1:573:2: WARNING: sections out of conventional > order: Sh SEE ALSO > mandoc: rgbgfx.1:575:2: WARNING: unusual Xr order: rgbasm(1) after rgbds(7) > mandoc: rgbgfx.1:577:2: WARNING: unusual Xr order: rgbfix after rgblink My understanding is that the Xr order is supposed to be by section, then alphabetical, right? The rationale for our ordering is that it is the order in which we expect the users to read the manual pages; this made more sense back when we served the renders online directly; now that we have a separate navbar, it might be okay to reorder the footers. > The commit appended below (made both to OpenBSD and to the portable > mandoc at bsd.lv) fixes the bug. Please check that it works for > you, too, and tell me in case you notice any regressions. I haven't found any thus far, but my testing isn't thorough. We haven't really set up any kind of anchor checker, sadly. >> While we do some post-processing >> [https://github.com/gbdev/rgbds-www/blob/master/maintainer/man_to_html.sh], > I'm not convinced i understood all of that, but here are some remarks > anyway: > > * Using ".Fl Fl foo" for GNU-style long options is discouraged because > it is semantically wrong. Using ".Fl \-foo" is better. > https://mandoc.bsd.lv/mdoc/style/options.html Again, blame bentley. I didn't realise this page existed until I went through two fairly small links lost in the middle of others. Good resources, despite not being very easy to find. I'll fix this. (I'm also noticing the '\-', and I /really/ hope we didn't mess up and use a breakable hyphen in places we shouldn't have...) > * You may no longer need to shift headings; mandoc-current already > translates .Sh to

and .Ss

. That change was motivated > by accessibility considerations very similar to your comment > "level 1 is reserved for the page's title". Great! That said, I'm reluctant to use a non-release version of Mandoc in our documentation generator, as I don't have much time to dedicate to maintaining it; so I think I'll patiently wait for the next release. Late but yours nonetheless, ~ Eldred