tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* [texi2mdoc] Documents without @node
@ 2018-11-13  1:23 Michael Forney
From: Michael Forney @ 2018-11-13  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech

In preparing the texi2mdoc patch I just sent, I noticed a couple of
things with the latest CVS version compared to 0.1.2.

First, since ffmpeg.texi[0] does not contain a `@node Top` line, I get
an essentially blank (see below) output. I'm not very familiar with
texinfo, but the manual seems to suggest that this is an invalid
document[1]. Should texi2mdoc try to support documents with no top
node by creating one implicitly upon @top? If not, should it fail with
an error message rather than just producing an empty document?

Actually, the output document is not completely blank, it contains
quite a few `.Pp` lines. It looks like this is because the
`fputs(".Pp\n", p->outfile)` in parseword is not guarded by a check of
p->ign, which I believe is a bug.

[0] https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/ffmpeg.texi
[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/The-Top-Node.html#The-Top-Node