mblaze, a Maildir-focused command line mail client
* Email address aliases
@ 2019-07-06 21:02 Silvan Jegen
From: Silvan Jegen @ 2019-07-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mblaze

Heyho

Ideally I don't want to type out people's whole email addresses when
composing emails. My first thought was to use an alias file with my
SMTP client (msmtp). This works fine for sending emails, except that
the aliases are not replaced in the mail headers. That means if a person
replies to all people in a mail from me, and the CC header contains an
alias like 'friend1', the email addressed to 'friend1' one will never
arrive since it's not a valid email address.

Currently I am using a new approach where I simply run 'sed' over the
headers of an email at composiition time to replace all my aliases with
the proper email addresses.

I feel like there should be a more elegant solution to this (involving
'msed' being invoked before passing an email to the sendmail program
perhaps?). Is there an easy way to get simple email address aliases
working that I am missing?

Cheers,

Silvan

* Re: Email address aliases