mblaze, a Maildir-focused command line mail client
* Reply to all default is not ideal
@ 2021-05-24  8:28 John Flood
From: John Flood @ 2021-05-24  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mblaze

I have been using mblaze for a certain number of weeks after using mutt
(still installed) for several years.  I am still getting used to it.

I don't know if there is a better way of raising my issue, but I would just
note that from my point of view, the default action of mrep, which is
"reply to all" has the result that, unless one is vigilant, as we all know,
one may end up sending messages to many people that may contain information
intended for only one or a few.  As a result, one may unintentionally end
up offending some, causing division in a group or simply spreading
information that is better kept confidential.

So, I am just expressing the wish that there was a way for one to make a
more deliberate choice to "reply to all" in order to avoid inadvertent
mistakes.  With vim as an editor, it is, of course, very easy to delete all
Cc: addresses, but occasionally we all do things in a hurry or when
distracted and some people even make the mistake when there is a deliberate
choice as in Gmail itself.

I am not a proficient programmer, but when I saw that the mcom script was a
bash script, I just hacked it and added an echo command to create a warning
which has ended up appearing at the top of the draft when it opens and
which I then need to delete before sending, but, at least it's a reminder.
So, I'm just wondering whether it would be all that difficult to make an
alternate command like "mgrp" that would replace the current "mrep" and a
new "mrep" that would not reply to all.

Thanks,

John Flood