mailing list of musl libc
* testing mips port ?
@ 2012-07-12  5:09 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-07-12  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

hi all,

does anybody have real mips hardware that could be used to test the
new mips port? i've been trying to run libc-testsuite in qemu
(aboriginal linux), but the pthread cancellation tests are failing.
adding some debug code, it looks like qemu is not giving the signal
handler a valid/correct ucontext_t structure, but unfortunately i
don't have any real hardware to test it on to confirm that this is
just a qemu bug and not a musl bug.

by the way, there's no shared library support for mips yet, mainly due
to the abi being atrociously bad and incompatible with musl's clean
and simple way of doing dynamic linking, which is having a dynamic
linker that naturally just works without any relocations. so if you
want to test it, please just disable shared libraries for now.

rich

* Re: testing mips port ?
@ 2012-07-12 14:11 ` Arvid E. Picciani
From: Arvid E. Picciani @ 2012-07-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I'd use an arbitrary router supported by openwrt. I made good
experience with the wrt500gp
Should be like ~25Eur on ebay.
Openwrt because it's hack-friendly, allowing you to rebuild the whole
firmware in any obscure way you like.

If it's just about running some arbitrary binary to confirm a crash, i
can do that.

--
Arvid E. Picciani

* Re: testing mips port ?
@ 2012-07-12 14:11   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-07-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 04:11:15PM +0200, Arvid E. Picciani wrote:
> I'd use an arbitrary router supported by openwrt. I made good
> experience with the wrt500gp
> Should be like ~25Eur on ebay.
> Openwrt because it's hack-friendly, allowing you to rebuild the
> whole firmware in any obscure way you like.
>
> If it's just about running some arbitrary binary to confirm a crash,
> i can do that.

At the moment I just want to see libc-testsuite results (or even a
smaller sample pthread_cancel test program) on real hardware. It is
tempting to get a real setup, but I'm still undecided how big my role
should be (i.e. how much of my time on musl I should spend) on testing
and playing with ports versus developing the core and laying the
groundwork for adding new ports (or for hard tasks like making dynamic
linking work with ugly archs like mips).

Rich

* Re: testing mips port ?
@ 2012-07-12 15:25     ` Arvid E. Picciani
From: Arvid E. Picciani @ 2012-07-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Can we find a way to automate this?
I would happily dedicate the box for it.
Jenkins doesn't really work for that, the runner is java.
Maybe a jenkins setup that ssh's into a dynip address and executes the
test suite there?

--
Arvid E. Picciani