mailing list of musl libc
From: Rob Landley <rob@landley.net>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Cc: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Progress on roadmap to 0.9.13
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 01:21:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On 08/15/2013 02:59:12 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> One key target for 0.9.13 which I didn't cover above is improving
> "make install" and possibly tweaking the symlink strategy for libc.so
> and ld-musl.so. At several times in the past, I was fairly convinced
> that it makes more sense to reverse the symlink direction and have
> libc.so point to ld-musl.so rather than the other way around. However,
> I keep going back to doubting that there's any good reason for it to
> change. So if there are people who still care about this issue, I'd
> really like to hear you speak up _now_ rather than 2 days before the
> next release, or after the next release.

Which makes it easier to install uClibc and musl and bionic next to
each other? (You can have /lib/musl and /lib/uClibc and /lib/bionic for
most of the .so and .a files, but the dynamic linker is a hardwired
abspath in each binary and then the linker would be what searches the
more specific path...)

> One thing that's not in the current roadmap is additional ports. The
> possibility of additional ports in any of the upcoming releases (even
> 1.0 as long as the new ports are labeled experimental) is something
> I've had in mind for a long time, but as I'm probably not going to
> have time to spend on ports in addition to meeting the rest of the
> goals I have, the bulk of the work on additional ports would need to
> come from other contributors.

Real life continues to intrude into my schedule, but I'm slowly working
towards this. Until musl supports all the targets aboriginal does now,
I can't drop uClibc support, and klibc has some code I can start with
to get to "hello world" level...

Rob