Hello, Am Montag, den 09.03.2015, 21:07 -0400 schrieb Rich Felker: > How does this affect "glibc ABI compatibility"? Very little. As long > as the sizes of the musl types are no larger than the sizes of the > glibc types on the same arch, compatibility with glibc binary code > (apps or libs) is not affected. All that is affected if the ABI of > third-party libraries that use pthread types as members of public > structs, and it only matters if you're calling such libraries using > the glibc-derived ABI from code compiled against musl and using the > affected structures. This is a very unusual usage case, not something > we've ever prioritized supporting (it's broken in several other ways > anyway, or at least it was historically), and IMO it's not worth > severely bloating new archs that people actually want to use. So to rephrase your arguments for that - For the case I compile my code with the glibc ABI and link it with musl: any struct that has pthread (or C11 thread) components in it will potentially only use a smaller part of that pthread (C11) component. In particular in that case when compiling with the glibc ABI the compiler always generates a consistent offset for the pthread components. Sounds ok. But this only works because the glibc ABI doesn't export any interface that has a visible combination of different pthread components. Are we sure about that? - For the case that I compile code with the musl ABI and link it with glibc, this may (and probably will) cause out-of-bounds errors on execution. I would very much prefer that big warnings are already issued when doing such a link, or even better if such a link would fail systematically. I hope that there is nobody out there, who would be currently using this model, perhaps unknowingly. Jens -- :: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS ::: :: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536 :: :: :::::::::::::::::::::: gsm France : +33 651400183 :: :: ::::::::::::::: gsm international : +49 15737185122 :: :: http://icube-icps.unistra.fr/index.php/Jens_Gustedt ::