mailing list of musl libc
* Re: commit 1a63a9fc30e7a1f1239e3cedcb5041e5ec1c5351
@ 2012-04-29 19:02 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2012-04-29 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> also special-case ß (U+00DF) ... unicode added an uppercase version of
> this character but does not map it, presumably because the uppercase
> version is not actually used except for some obscure purpose ...

For the record:

ẞ (U+1E9E) is not mapped as ß’s majuscule because Unicode’s (really MS’s)
idea of stable is »no bug fixes« and a preference for SS by some, not
because of lack of use.

The legacy of using SS as ß’s majuscule continues in most contexts, but
from what I hear, ẞ is gaining ground.  Especially in text which is set
without miniscules, such as street and commercial signage.

Even without a global ß→ẞ mapping, it might be true that such a mapping
already might be preferred for de_AT text.  (The earliest sightings of
ẞ which were mentioned on unicode@ were, IIRC, in Austria.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6