mailing list of musl libc
* need possibility to override default endianness
@ 2012-10-10 21:56 John Spencer
From: John Spencer @ 2012-10-10 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

if you compile musl mips on mispel with landley's gcc 4.1.2, or gcc
3.4.6, bits/endian.h says the BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN, and breaks
built apps (for example sha512 code used in butch).

i know that more recent gcc's set the macro automatically, still:

rather than overwriting that file manually i'd prefer if musl had a flag
to indicate the desired endianness.

i.e. ./configure --with-target-endian=little

* Re: need possibility to override default endianness
@ 2012-10-11  0:11 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-10-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:56:16PM +0200, John Spencer wrote:
> if you compile musl mips on mispel with landley's gcc 4.1.2, or gcc
> 3.4.6, bits/endian.h says the BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN, and breaks
> built apps (for example sha512 code used in butch).
>
> i know that more recent gcc's set the macro automatically, still:
>
> rather than overwriting that file manually i'd prefer if musl had a
> flag to indicate the desired endianness.
>
> i.e. ./configure --with-target-endian=little

I'd rather either have this auto-detected, or use a separate arch name
for the backwards-endian variants (i.e. mipsel and armeb) but without
duplicating all the asm dirs. This would require some sort of subarch
or second arch search path support. Any sketch of how that should
work? (either the auto-detection of endianness or subarch stuff) Maybe
there's just some other macro older gccs define for mipsel and armeb
that we could detect in the bits/endian.h files at compile-time...?

Rich