mailing list of musl libc
* sysinfo padding question
@ 2012-11-18 20:25 Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2012-11-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Why is the padding for sysinfo for the kernel different from the libc
one for Musl?

/usr/include/linux/kernel.h has 	char
_f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)];	/* Padding: libc5 uses this.. */
/usr/include/sys/sysinfo.h has       char __reserved[256];

glibc just includes the kernel header from sys/sysinfo.h so both these
structs are the same size there, so not sure I see any rationale.

Justin

* Re: sysinfo padding question
@ 2012-11-18 20:46 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-11-18 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 08:25:48PM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> Why is the padding for sysinfo for the kernel different from the libc
> one for Musl?
>
> /usr/include/linux/kernel.h has 	char
> _f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)];	/* Padding: libc5 uses this.. */
> /usr/include/sys/sysinfo.h has       char __reserved[256];
>
> glibc just includes the kernel header from sys/sysinfo.h so both these
> structs are the same size there, so not sure I see any rationale.

I don't think there was any particular rationale; I just did it to
make sure there's plenty of space for future expansion. Changing it to
match should be fine unless anybody objects. Note however that the
glibc definition gives no room to expand on 64-bit.

Rich