mailing list of musl libc
* spandsp testsuite, feenableexcept() is missing
@ 2012-12-14 14:30 ojab
From: ojab @ 2012-12-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi list,

spandsp testsuite build fails with
>  /root/spandsp/tests/v17_tests.c:311: undefined reference to `feenableexcept'

AFAIU all functions from fenv.h are not implemented. Is there plans to
implement them before 1.0/at all?

//wbr ojab

* Re: spandsp testsuite, feenableexcept() is missing
@ 2012-12-14 18:58 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-12-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 06:30:28PM +0400, ojab wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> spandsp testsuite build fails with
> > /root/spandsp/tests/v17_tests.c:311: undefined reference to `feenableexcept'
>
> AFAIU all functions from fenv.h are not implemented. Is there plans
> to implement them before 1.0/at all?

fenv.h is implemented. The issue is that feenableexcept is not part of
the standard for fenv.h; it's an extension added by glibc for turning
on trapping exceptions. This usage is non-portable (as far as I know,
many machines don't support trapping exceptions) and I've never seen a
program actually making use of them. It looks like spandsp is just
using this function in its test suite, probably to test some
exception-relted behavior. I think this should be fixed upstream,
since it won't work on other non-GNU systems either.

Rich

* Re: spandsp testsuite, feenableexcept() is missing
@ 2012-12-14 19:49   ` ojab
From: ojab @ 2012-12-14 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 14.12.2012 22:58, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 06:30:28PM +0400, ojab wrote:
>> >Hi list,
>> >
>> >spandsp testsuite build fails with
>> >
>> >AFAIU all functions from fenv.h are not implemented. Is there plans
>> >to implement them before 1.0/at all?
> fenv.h is implemented. The issue is that feenableexcept is not part of
> the standard for fenv.h; it's an extension added by glibc for turning
> on trapping exceptions. This usage is non-portable (as far as I know,
> many machines don't support trapping exceptions) and I've never seen a
> program actually making use of them. It looks like spandsp is just
> using this function in its test suite, probably to test some
> exception-relted behavior. I think this should be fixed upstream,
> since it won't work on other non-GNU systems either.
>
> Rich

Ouch, stupid me, I thought that I've checked posix about it.
Sorry for the noise.

@ 2012-12-14 19:55     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-12-14 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:49:26PM +0400, ojab wrote:

> >fenv.h is implemented. The issue is that feenableexcept is not part of
> >the standard for fenv.h; it's an extension added by glibc for turning
> >on trapping exceptions. This usage is non-portable (as far as I know,
> >many machines don't support trapping exceptions) and I've never seen a
> >program actually making use of them. It looks like spandsp is just
> >using this function in its test suite, probably to test some
> >exception-relted behavior. I think this should be fixed upstream,
> >since it won't work on other non-GNU systems either.
> >

> Ouch, stupid me, I thought that I've checked posix about it.
> Sorry for the noise.

No problem. It's still useful to have a record that at least some
program was trying to use it, even if only for testing purposes; it
helps evaluate whether it would ever make sense to add it. However, if
you're going to support trapping exceptions, there are a few fenv
functions which become slightly more complicated or more expensive,
and as long as nothing actually wants trapping exceptions, I think it
makes the most sense just to say "they're not supported and we offer
no interface to turn them on"; then, the rest of fenv can safely
assume they're off.

Rich