mailing list of musl libc
* Status of musl and RPC libraries
@ 2012-12-24 20:05 Isaac Dunham
From: Isaac Dunham @ 2012-12-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I've given up on getting libtirpc to work; it requires NIS and quite a bit of RPC support in the libc(!). In fact, when glibc 2.14 dropped the RPC headers, it broke libtirpc compilation (thus all newer glibc versions have them).

Besides that, I've found a few potential solutions for RPC support:
-An updated port of DCE/RPC maintained originally by Novell, now by Apple. Needs autoconf (no configure script provided).
-gssrpc, which is a wrapper around Kerberos, but I don't know if it is a dropin RPC solution...
-Porting OpenBSD RPC (if anyone's doing a BSD-based RPC, that's the best option: FreeBSD hasn't updated their RPC implementation recently, so it cannot be used as a standalone library per the license!)
-Porting Android librpc.

Approach number 4 was the quickest, so if you're curious, see
https://github.com/idunham/libdrpc

While I was porting this, I ran across one minor issue:
Linux poll(2) supports POLLRDHUP (0x2000), which _GNU_SOURCE makes available in <poll.h> on glibc. This will detect when the streeam socket peer has closed the connection.  I'm not aware of a POSIX equivalent to this.
Any chance of this getting added to poll.h (with proper feature tests)?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham <idunham@lavabit.com>

* Re: Status of musl and RPC libraries
@ 2012-12-26 21:56 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-12-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:05:22PM -0800, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> [4] -Porting Android librpc.
>
> Approach number 4 was the quickest, so if you're curious, see
> https://github.com/idunham/libdrpc

I suspect this is the only sane approach. Most RPC code is full of
hideous legacy mess, so Android is probably the only one unlikely to
be encumbered by that..

> While I was porting this, I ran across one minor issue:
> Linux poll(2) supports POLLRDHUP (0x2000), which _GNU_SOURCE makes
> available in <poll.h> on glibc. This will detect when the streeam
> socket peer has closed the connection. I'm not aware of a POSIX
> equivalent to this.
> Any chance of this getting added to poll.h (with proper feature tests)?

It doesn't need to be protected. POLL* is in the reserved namespace
for poll.h. I have added it in git.

Rich