mailing list of musl libc
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@port70.net>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about missing linux/version.h while statically compiling Redis
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:01:23 +0100	[thread overview]

* John Spencer <maillist-musl@barfooze.de> [2013-01-25 14:59:44 +0100]:
> On 01/25/2013 01:43 PM, Olivier Goudron wrote:
> >config.h:87:27: error: linux/version.h: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
> >
> >What should i do ?
> >
> >Can i copy the linux/version.h from my local glibc include directory
> >to musl-libc include directory ?
> >
> >Thanks in advance, Olivier.
> >
> as linux/ suggests, this is a linux header, and not related to the
> libc in use.
> i.e. everything in linux/ is provided by the linux kernel.

debian has a linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
(glibc) depends on it

i guess other systems are similar, so you
have a /usr/include/linux directory on a
glibc system

musl does not depend on the linux headers

and you cannot use the host's /usr/include
with musl, you need to install all the
dependencies of redis (in this case the
linux headers) to a musl specific prefix

> sabotage linux has a package linux-kernel-headers which has a
> download url for a header tarball that includes linux/version.h:
> http://mirror.wzff.de/sabotage/tarballs/kernel-headers-3.3.4-1.tar.gz

i assume the arch specific asm dirs are included

(the contents of include/ and arch/$ARCH/include/
are needed)

> the inclusion from config.h suggests that there was a configure
> check for this header which for some reason (you may want to inspect
> config.log) succeeded despite the lack of this header on your
> system.

yes that's probably wrong

> btw: french error messages are not very helpful

before sending a bugreport:
export LC_ALL=C;

(it's enough to set LC_MESSAGES but LC_ALL is shorter)