mailing list of musl libc
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
To: toybox-oU9gvf+ajcRUPo+8YfT7LV6hYfS7NtTn@public.gmane.org
Cc: musl-ZwoEplunGu1jrUoiu81ncdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [musl] Re:  toybox: Rough edges in pending
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:32:21 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:20:27 -0500
Rob Landley <rob-VoJi6FS/r0vR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 01:50:43 AM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I don't expect these to be very high priority, but I ran into a few
> > rough edges
> > when enabling almost all the toys in pending:
>
> Um, yes. Until recently half the stuff in pending didn't even
> _compile_. There's a _reason_ the default to 'n'. It's a directory full
> of things that people are unhappy if I keep out of tree (usually for
> months), but which aren't ready to be used either.

I knew it was "unsupported" but didn't realize it was expected to be quite that bad.  I assumed (yes, I know the saying...) that if find,
uu{en,de}code, xzcat, and stat seemed to be functional in my testing, the other parts might also.

A couple things that would have cleared this up for me--
Either a note in toys/pending/README that said:
"Code in this directory may or may not work." (somehow, "...await review and/or cleanup" doesn't seem to communicate this)
or a "CONFIG_WORKING" that prevents enabling toys that are nonfunctional without realizing it (iirc, the kernel has a trick along these lines, so make allyesconfig doesn't turn _everything_ on).
But please leave pending in.

> > Also, when toybox is built with musl, and toybox sh executes ls,
> > I get a hang; strace indicates that something funny is going on:
>
> I am honestly amazed it got _that_ far.
>
> > I anticipate this is a bug in musl, so I'll cross-post.
>
> If toysh _isn't_ corrupting the heap or something similar, I'd be
> stunned. It's not a real command yet.

Surprisingly enough, it makes it far enough to give the illusion it might be usable.

--
Isaac Dunham <idunham-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>