mailing list of musl libc
* Non-priority wishlist for musl
@ 2013-04-20 15:59 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-04-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,

Here are a few wishlist items that are probably a lot more fun than
the priority ones for the next couple releases. They're low-priority
because they're not affecting robustness or compatibility, mostly just
performance and convenience. I'm just putting them down as a list here
for the record and in case anybody wants to start a discussion off of
them or propose other enhancements in the same category.

- Reworking iconv (again), this time to use an internal temporary
  buffer for processing whole runs rather than character at a time.

- Private-futex support in all synchronization primitives and internal
  locking.

- Various malloc enhancement ideas for reducing fragmentation and/or
  increasing performance.

- Converting regex engine to work on bytes instead of decoding each
  character to wchar_t.

- Fixing vdso support.

- Support for building libc itself with stack protector.

- Resorting data/bss objects to drop the number of essential dirty
  pages for libc.so to a minimum.

Rich

* Re: Non-priority wishlist for musl
@ 2013-04-21  5:41 ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2013-04-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: musl

On 04/20/2013 10:59:00 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> - Converting regex engine to work on bytes instead of decoding each
>   character to wchar_t.

Would it still be able to handle UTF8?

Rob

* Re: Non-priority wishlist for musl
@ 2013-04-22  2:09   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-04-22  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:41:58AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 04/20/2013 10:59:00 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> >- Converting regex engine to work on bytes instead of decoding each
> >  character to wchar_t.
>
> Would it still be able to handle UTF8?

Of course. This is non-negotiable.

Rich