mailing list of musl libc
* sys/queue.h
@ 2013-06-28 21:29 Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2013-06-28 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I just found some code that uses sys/queue.h

This is actually just macros and typedefs as far as I can see, no
actual code at all. glibc simply uses the header file from BSD as far
as I can see, so this would be fairly trivial to add.

Justin

* Re: sys/queue.h
@ 2013-06-28 21:47 ` John Spencer
From: John Spencer @ 2013-06-28 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 06/28/2013 11:29 PM, Justin Cormack wrote:
> I just found some code that uses sys/queue.h
>
> This is actually just macros and typedefs as far as I can see, no
> actual code at all. glibc simply uses the header file from BSD as far
> as I can see, so this would be fairly trivial to add.

but it has an ugly 3-clause BSD license.

relying on its existence is highly fragile so most programs that use it
have their own copy somewhere in-tree.
and if not, it's a bug.

> Justin

* Re: sys/queue.h
@ 2013-06-28 21:54   ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2013-06-28 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM, John Spencer
<maillist-musl@barfooze.de> wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 11:29 PM, Justin Cormack wrote:
>>
>> I just found some code that uses sys/queue.h
>>
>> This is actually just macros and typedefs as far as I can see, no
>> actual code at all. glibc simply uses the header file from BSD as far
>> as I can see, so this would be fairly trivial to add.
>

> but it has an ugly 3-clause BSD license.

That could be fixed by rewriting it I guess. Not sure it is
copyrightable even...

> relying on its existence is highly fragile so most programs that use it have
> their own copy somewhere in-tree.
> and if not, it's a bug.

Will complain to upstream.

Justin

* Re: sys/queue.h
@ 2013-06-28 22:19     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-06-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:54:03PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM, John Spencer
> <maillist-musl@barfooze.de> wrote:
> > On 06/28/2013 11:29 PM, Justin Cormack wrote:
> >>
> >> I just found some code that uses sys/queue.h
> >>
> >> This is actually just macros and typedefs as far as I can see, no
> >> actual code at all. glibc simply uses the header file from BSD as far
> >> as I can see, so this would be fairly trivial to add.
> >

> > but it has an ugly 3-clause BSD license.
>
> That could be fixed by rewriting it I guess. Not sure it is
> copyrightable even...

Unlike most headers which are not copyrightable, this one is 100%
code. I agree the code is fairly generic and standard, though.

> > relying on its existence is highly fragile so most programs that use it have
> > their own copy somewhere in-tree.
> > and if not, it's a bug.
>
> Will complain to upstream.

For now, I think that's the best approach. It it becomes a widespread
issue that's hard to get fixed upstream, we can consider adding it.
However unlike some nonstandard interfaces where you reduce bloat by
having a shared copy in libc, this header is entirely inlined macros,
and it makes no difference from a bloat standpoint whether it's
inlined from /usr/include/sys/queue.h or ./include/queue.h.

Rich