mailing list of musl libc
* Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 20:07 Andre Renaud
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andre Renaud @ 2014-02-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,
Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?

I was trying to see what the smallest self-hosting Linux system I
could make was, but had grief building musl due to TCC's lack of
complex support (which is relatively easily removed from musl, just a
couple of #includes and removing the src/complex directory). I then
had problems with <stdarg.h> (va_list not being properly defined), and
finally a crash in tcc which I couldn't quite track down. Before I get
into it too much more, I was wondering if anyone had done this before?

Regards,
Andre

* Re: Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 20:15 ` Daniel Cegiełka
From: Daniel Cegiełka @ 2014-02-09 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> Hi,
> Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?

and libfirm/cparser? :)
http://pp.ipd.kit.edu/firm/

Daniel

* Re: Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 21:43   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-02-09 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:15:28PM +0100, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?
>
> and libfirm/cparser? :)
> http://pp.ipd.kit.edu/firm/

If I remember correctly, last I checked, libfirm/cparser was working
fine for static linking, but did not support dynamic linking (it
completely lacked position-independent code generation, i.e. -fPIC).
There were some problems with complex and some floating point things,
but I think they were all fixed. I built a static libc.a with cparser
and the results passed basic testing.

This is definitely the most promising GCC-alternative compiler I've
seen, so if anybody's up for helping promote it and/or contribute to
the project, that would be great.

Rich

* Re: Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 21:50 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-02-09 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:07:55AM +1300, Andre Renaud wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?
>
> I was trying to see what the smallest self-hosting Linux system I
> could make was, but had grief building musl due to TCC's lack of
> complex support (which is relatively easily removed from musl, just a
> couple of #includes and removing the src/complex directory). I then
> had problems with <stdarg.h> (va_list not being properly defined), and
> finally a crash in tcc which I couldn't quite track down. Before I get
> into it too much more, I was wondering if anyone had done this before?

Could you elaborate on the stdarg.h problem? It might just work to use
the legacy non-GNUC definitions. I can't recall whether anyone has
successfully built musl with tcc. My guess would be that the dynamic
linking doesn't work, but static linking might.

Rich

* Re: Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 21:53     ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2014-02-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 09/02/14 22:43, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:15:28PM +0100, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?
>>
>> and libfirm/cparser? :)
>> http://pp.ipd.kit.edu/firm/
>
> If I remember correctly, last I checked, libfirm/cparser was working
> fine for static linking, but did not support dynamic linking (it
> completely lacked position-independent code generation, i.e. -fPIC).
> There were some problems with complex and some floating point things,
> but I think they were all fixed. I built a static libc.a with cparser
> and the results passed basic testing.
>
> This is definitely the most promising GCC-alternative compiler I've
> seen, so if anybody's up for helping promote it and/or contribute to
> the project, that would be great.

I contributed a bit and I'm routinely filling bugs to it.

It is indeed easy to work with and the upstream developers are pleasant
to work with.

They indeed need more mindshare. I hope once they converted cparser to
an usable library they'll bloom fully.

lu

* Re: Musl + TCC
@ 2014-02-09 22:48 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2014-02-09 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Andre Renaud <andre@bluewatersys.com> [2014-02-10 09:07:55 +1300]:
> Has anyone had a go at building musl with Tiny-CC http://bellard.org/tcc/?

i tried tcc long ago, but not the mob-branch

it didnt support c99 vlas (musl has some can be fixed)
it failed to compile some of the asm (you can change $(CC) to gnu as)
however it had issues with inline asm as well