On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:08:52PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote: > >> Please see attached file. > > > > I tried it and it's ~1 cycle slower for at least sizes 16-30; > > presumably we're seeing the cost of the extra compare/branch at these > > sizes but not at others. What does your timing test show? > > See below. > First column - result of my2.s > Second column - result of vda1.s > > Basically, the "rep stosq" code path got a bit faster, while > small memsets stayed the same. Can you post your test program for me to try out? Here's what I've been using, attached. Rich