On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 04:10:43PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote: > OK I've looked at this and I understand what's happening. PowerPC does > not have a separate relocation type for GOT entries; instead it uses > the same relocation type used for address constants global data. These > do not get re-processed after the main program and libraries are > added, because unlike GOT slots, they have addends, and if the addend > is inline (using REL rather than RELA) then it's already been > clobbered by the early relocation phase and can't easily be recovered. > > I see three possible solutions: > > 1. Treat R_PPC_ADDR32 as a GOT relocation instead of a regular > symbolic relocation in data. This would suppress the addend (giving > wrong address) if inline addends (REL) were used, but in practice > powerpc aways uses RELA. I consider this a hack, and perhaps risky, > since in principle someone could make powerpc binaries with REL. > > 2. Re-process not just GOT type relocs, but also any RELA > (non-inline-addend) relocs again on the second pass. This would > work as long as powerpc only uses RELA, and if REL is ever used, > the worst that would happen is the current bug (losing environ, > etc.) rather than silently wrong relocations in global data. This > approach is not a hack, but I consider it something of an > incomplete fix. > > 3. Re-process all symbolic relocations. For REL-type (inline addend), > we have to recover the original addend, which can be done by > calling find_sym again, but using ldso instead of the current > library chain head as the context to search for the symbol in, then > subtracting the resulting address to get back the original addend. > > I like the third solution best, even though it incurs a small code > size cost and a performance cost for archs using REL, because it's > completely robust against any weird ways some archs might end up using > relocations. The expected number of such relocations is tiny anyway; > on my i386 builds it's 14. > > If option 3 proves to be difficult or costly, however, we could > consider option 2 as a temporary measure to get powerpc working. It > wouldn't even need to be reverted, because option 3 includes/subsumes > the work that would be done for option 2. Attached is a patch to implement option 2. I'll probably commit it soon anyway but here is it in case you want to test sooner. I verified it fixes the test program on powerpc for me. Rich