mailing list of musl libc
* musl 1.1.10 released
@ 2015-06-04 20:30 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-06-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

This release fixes regressions introduced as part of the dynamic
linker bootstrap overhaul in musl 1.1.9, and adds several new features
and improvements. Internal cleanup and optimizations have been made to
the locale system. A fail-safe/allocation-free locale_t object for the
C locale is now available via newlocale(), and the iconv_open function
now supports "" and "CHAR" as aliases for the native (UTF-8) encoding.
A new crt start file, rcrt1.o, is provided for producing static-linked
position independent executables (PIE). Minor PIE-related
arch-specific bugs, and a bug in the ungetc and ungetwc stdio
functions which caused them to fail on files in EOF status, have also
been fixed.

http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz
http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz.asc

Thanks as always to musl's Patreon release sponsors:

- The Midipix Project (midipix.org)
- Hurricane Labs (hurricanelabs.com)
- Justin Cormack

Further notes on upcoming development will follow soon.

Rich

* Re: musl 1.1.10 released
@ 2015-06-05  8:20 ` Timo Teras
From: Timo Teras @ 2015-06-05  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Felker; +Cc: musl

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:30:18 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:

> This release fixes regressions introduced as part of the dynamic
> linker bootstrap overhaul in musl 1.1.9, and adds several new features
> and improvements. Internal cleanup and optimizations have been made to
> the locale system. A fail-safe/allocation-free locale_t object for the
> C locale is now available via newlocale(), and the iconv_open function
> now supports "" and "CHAR" as aliases for the native (UTF-8) encoding.
> A new crt start file, rcrt1.o, is provided for producing static-linked
> position independent executables (PIE). Minor PIE-related
> arch-specific bugs, and a bug in the ungetc and ungetwc stdio
> functions which caused them to fail on files in EOF status, have also
> been fixed.
>
> http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz
> http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz.asc
>
> Thanks as always to musl's Patreon release sponsors:
>
> - The Midipix Project (midipix.org)
> - Hurricane Labs (hurricanelabs.com)
> - Justin Cormack
>
> Further notes on upcoming development will follow soon.

There's relatively nasty regression in uselocale() breaking most X
applications (due to some libraries).

See patch at:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/plain/main/musl/0001-fix-uselocale-locale_t-0-to-not-modify-locale.patch

/Timo

* Re: musl 1.1.10 released
@ 2015-06-05 15:01   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-06-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:20:30AM +0300, Timo Teras wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:30:18 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:
>
> > This release fixes regressions introduced as part of the dynamic
> > linker bootstrap overhaul in musl 1.1.9, and adds several new features
> > and improvements. Internal cleanup and optimizations have been made to
> > the locale system. A fail-safe/allocation-free locale_t object for the
> > C locale is now available via newlocale(), and the iconv_open function
> > now supports "" and "CHAR" as aliases for the native (UTF-8) encoding.
> > A new crt start file, rcrt1.o, is provided for producing static-linked
> > position independent executables (PIE). Minor PIE-related
> > arch-specific bugs, and a bug in the ungetc and ungetwc stdio
> > functions which caused them to fail on files in EOF status, have also
> > been fixed.
> >
> > http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz
> > http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/musl-1.1.10.tar.gz.asc
> >
> > Thanks as always to musl's Patreon release sponsors:
> >
> > - The Midipix Project (midipix.org)
> > - Hurricane Labs (hurricanelabs.com)
> > - Justin Cormack
> >
> > Further notes on upcoming development will follow soon.
>
> There's relatively nasty regression in uselocale() breaking most X
> applications (due to some libraries).
>
> See patch at:
> http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/plain/main/musl/0001-fix-uselocale-locale_t-0-to-not-modify-locale.patch

Uhg, this kind of thing is exactly why I've been wishing we had tests
for locale functions. I tested it minimally by hand but didn't think
to try passing (locale_t)0. I'll probably make a fix release with this
patch applied.

Rich

* New libc-test regression test for uselocale [Was: Re: [musl] musl 1.1.10 released]
@ 2015-06-05 16:16     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2015-06-05 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl