On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 03:28:52PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote: > I've been working on the new version of runtime-selected SH atomics > for musl, and I think what I've got might be appropriate for GCC's > generated atomics too. I know Oleg was not very excited about doing > this on the gcc side from a cost/benefit perspective, but I think my > approach is actually preferable over inline atomics from a code size > perspective. It uses a single "cas" function with an "SFUNC" type ABI > (not standard calling convention) with the following constraints: > > Inputs: > - R0: Memory address to operate on > - R1: Address of implementation function, loaded from a global > - R2: Comparison value > - R3: Value to set on success > > Outputs: > - R3: Old value read, ==R2 iff cas succeeded. > > Preserved: R0, R2. > > Clobbered: R1, PR, T. > > This call (performed from __asm__ for musl, but gcc would do it as SH > "SFUNC") is highly compact/convenient for inlining because it avoids > clobbering any of the argument registers that are likely to already be > in use by the caller, and it preserves the important values that are > likely to be reused after the cas operation. > > For J2 and future J4, the function pointer just points to: > > rts > cas.l r2,r3,@r0 > > and the only costs vs an inline cas.l are loading the address of the > function (done in the caller; involves GOT access) and clobbering R1 > and PR. > > This is still a draft design and the version in musl is subject to > change at any time since it's not a public API/ABI, but I think it > could turn into something useful to have on the gcc side with a > -matomic-model=libfunc option or similar. Other ABI considerations for > gcc use would be where to store the function pointer and how to > initialize it. To be reasonably efficient with FDPIC the caller needs > to be responsible for loading the function pointer (and it needs to > always point to code, not a function descriptor) so that the callee > does not need a GOT pointer passed in. Attached is my current draft of the implementations of the cas 'sfunc' for musl. Forgot to include it before. Rich