mailing list of musl libc
* compiling musl on openbsd
@ 2016-12-01 13:13 Rashad Kanavath
From: Rashad Kanavath @ 2016-12-01 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hello,

There was some thread on building musl on bsd. But I couldn't find them.

I tried to compile musl git(master) on openbsd 6.0 and failed .

configure and build log is attached.

uname -a
OpenBSD my.domain 6.0 GENERIC.MP#2319 amd64

configure log:
https://gist.github.com/rkanavath/54b46c95e56d91eeacec9fa5cf7859c2
build log:
https://gist.github.com/rkanavath/1f9af3fd381a2df6d8e9a1081118bfd4

--
Regards,
   Rashad

* Re: compiling musl on openbsd
@ 2016-12-01 14:17 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2016-12-01 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: Rashad Kanavath

* Rashad Kanavath <mohammedrashadkm@gmail.com> [2016-12-01 14:13:28 +0100]:

> There was some thread on building musl on bsd. But I couldn't find them.
>
> I tried to compile musl git(master) on openbsd 6.0 and failed .

there is no compilation failure in the log you linked.

but musl only works on bsd with correct linux syscall emulation.

@ 2016-12-01 14:35   ` Rashad Kanavath
From: Rashad Kanavath @ 2016-12-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl, Rashad Kanavath

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@port70.net> wrote:

> * Rashad Kanavath <mohammedrashadkm@gmail.com> [2016-12-01 14:13:28
> +0100]:
> >
> > There was some thread on building musl on bsd. But I couldn't find them.
> >
> > I tried to compile musl git(master) on openbsd 6.0 and failed .
> >

> there is no compilation failure in the log you linked.
>
> but musl only works on bsd with correct linux syscall emulation.

I don't think I have a syscall emulation in my bsd installation.

@ 2016-12-02 14:29     ` Rashad Kanavath
From: Rashad Kanavath @ 2016-12-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl, Rashad Kanavath

Hi Szabolcs,

follow question: is to possible to use something already in bsd rather than
going through syscall emulation ?

--

@ 2016-12-02 19:56       ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-12-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 03:29:45PM +0100, Rashad Kanavath wrote:
> Hi Szabolcs,
>
> follow question: is to possible to use something already in bsd rather than
> going through syscall emulation ?

A native-OpenBSD port would be a completely different target (or
rather, one per cpu arch you want to support on OpenBSD) and at
present is not terribly easy even then since the Linux syscall API is
assumed rather than using some abstraction around it. There are pros
and cons to this; at some point we might try to abstract it a bit more
to make it easier to do maintainable bare-metal ports (which would
also make it easier to port to BSDs, etc.) but even then some of the
BSDs simply lack underlying kernel APIs to implement all the corner
cases in POSIX correctly, particularly in the area of synchronization
primitives like robust mutexes, and I'm not really interested in
adding new abstractions for the sake of being able to write partial,
not-actually-quite-correct ports.

Rich