Hello Rich, On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:17:45 -0500 Rich Felker wrote: > > > I don't think this is any actual diference; the const keyword is > > > a nop there. Issue 844 is just about the standard gratuitously > > > including a do-nothing keyword there. > > > > Right. Keeping the qualifier here is harmless. > > Oh, I read it backwards and thought we lacked the const. I'm in favor > of removing redundant/meaningless stuff in declarations. BTW all > instances of __restrict except one or two (pointer-to-__restrict) are > also of this type; they're meaningless in the declaration and perhaps > should be removed. You are right concerning the validity of the interface, and I agree that the const should be removed. It contains no valuable information for the caller. The restrict information is different. Restrict is a important contract with the caller, and it is really a pitty that it cannot be enforced. Nevertheless compilers can (and should) diagnose violations of the restrict contract that it is able to deduce from the visible code. So I think such information should not be removed from interfaces. > > > Ah. This is problematic because functions declared in inttypes.h > > > require wchar_t to prototype. Of course a shadow name for the same > > > type can be defined (like how va_list is handled) but it's ugly... > > > > [...] > > > > > > Similar issue. It could be fixed with a shadot typedef or explicit > > > "struct _IO_FILE". The latter is ugly and something of a > > > violation of the abstraction, I think.. > > > > Indeed. I think ISO C should have exposed these data types. > > I agree. Maybe we should change it though. I'll think about it. I know > there were tests (I think gcc fixincludes mess) flagging spurious > exposure of va_list as a bug, and in principle someone might decide to > do the same here, but maybe we should wait to make any change until > if/when there's a problem. I agree, all C library header specifications in the standard should force all types of their interfaces exposed. I note that as a modification request for C2x, but I would not at all be sure that such a change would be consensual, and such a change would still be only in years to come. Thanks Jens -- :: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS ::: :: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536 :: :: :::::::::::::::::::::: gsm France : +33 651400183 :: :: ::::::::::::::: gsm international : +49 15737185122 :: :: http://icube-icps.unistra.fr/index.php/Jens_Gustedt ::