mailing list of musl libc
* Re: "Arithmetic exception" with modulus operator '%'
@ 2019-02-14 23:58 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2019-02-14 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jounijl; +Cc: musl

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 03:35:23AM +0000, jounijl@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> As in the headline. Program stops and prints "Arithmetic exception"
> at the line where the modulus operator '%' is.
>
> I'm compiling in Alpine linux with clang installed from apk:s:
>
> clang -c test.c
> clang -o test test.o
>
> The code is:
>
> ----- snip -----
>         unsigned int unum  = 0;
>         unsigned int umod  = 0;
>         unsigned int ures  = 0;
>         ures = unum % umod; // <-- this one
> ----- /snip -----
>
> The variables have some values other than 0.

I don't follow. You say they have some value other than 0, but the
above example snippet has them as zero, and if they're 0 it's
undefined behavior and a fault of some sort is a typical result. What
did you expect to happen?

Rich

* "Arithmetic exception" with modulus operator '%'
@ 2019-02-15  3:35 jounijl
From: jounijl @ 2019-02-15  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

As in the headline. Program stops and prints "Arithmetic exception" at
the line where the modulus operator '%' is.

I'm compiling in Alpine linux with clang installed from apk:s:

clang -c test.c
clang -o test test.o

The code is:

----- snip -----
         unsigned int unum  = 0;
         unsigned int umod  = 0;
         unsigned int ures  = 0;
         ures = unum % umod; // <-- this one
----- /snip -----

The variables have some values other than 0.

The environment is:
The Alpine Linux is installed in Oracle Virtualbox in FreeBSD 12, 64-bit
Intel.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 4.14.89-0-vanilla #1-Alpine SMP Tue Dec 18 16:10:10 UTC
2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ clang --version
Alpine clang version 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final) (based on LLVM 5.0.1)

What does this? Do I need to include some library?

w.b.reg., Jouni

* Re: "Arithmetic exception" with modulus operator '%'
@ 2019-02-15 10:05 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2019-02-15 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: jounijl

* jounijl@yahoo.co.uk <jounijl@yahoo.co.uk> [2019-02-15 03:35:23 +0000]:
> As in the headline. Program stops and prints "Arithmetic exception" at the
> line where the modulus operator '%' is.
>
> I'm compiling in Alpine linux with clang installed from apk:s:
>
> clang -c test.c
> clang -o test test.o
>
> The code is:
>
> ----- snip -----
>         unsigned int unum  = 0;
>         unsigned int umod  = 0;
>         unsigned int ures  = 0;
>         ures = unum % umod; // <-- this one

undefined behaviour == anything can happen

the compiler can drop this entirely.

> ----- /snip -----
>
> The variables have some values other than 0.
>
> The environment is:
> The Alpine Linux is installed in Oracle Virtualbox in FreeBSD 12, 64-bit
> Intel.

x86_64 traps mod by 0 (in case the compiler didn't
drop the code path because of ub).

> $ uname -a
> Linux localhost 4.14.89-0-vanilla #1-Alpine SMP Tue Dec 18 16:10:10 UTC 2018
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> $ clang --version
> Alpine clang version 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final) (based on LLVM 5.0.1)
>
> What does this? Do I need to include some library?

what behaviour do you expect?

@ 2019-02-15 10:31   ` jounijl
From: jounijl @ 2019-02-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Felker; +Cc: musl

Exactly. To be complite:

The host machine prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a core
file. Uses: /lib/libc.so.7
The Alpine prints: "Arithmetic exception".  Uses: /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1
Solaris 10 prints: "Arithmetic exception". Uses: /lib/libc.so.1 ;
/lib/libm.so.2
Ubuntu prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a core file. Uses:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

To the question "what do you except":
Of course the behaviour is similar to others and this is correct. As in
programs the behaviour would be best like this: number%zero would be the
number it self when number/zero is undefined or infinity (maby set the
number to the largest known number). To change this, some mathematical
evaluation would be needed. Answer: mod 0: Convenient would be the
number it self ?

Maby the core file has to be enabled somehow. Attached is a complite
test program. The word "trap" is unfamiliar to me. I think it means just
checking with an 'if'-like comparison.

Thank you for the replies. It helped. The simple facts are not always
obvious.

Jouni

the file:

$ cat m.c
#include <stdio.h>
int    main( int argc, char *argv[] );
int    main( int argc, char *argv[] ){
         unsigned int z = 0;
         unsigned int w = 0;
         //floating point exception: fprintf( stderr, "\n 0 %% 0 = %i",
(int) z%w );
         z = 1;
         //floating point exception: fprintf( stderr, "\n 1 %% 0 = %i",
(int) z%w );
         z = 0; w = 1;
         fprintf( stderr, "\n 0 %% 1 = %i", (int) z%w );
         z = 1; w = 1;
         fprintf( stderr, "\n 1 %% 1 = %i", (int) z%w );
}

@ 2019-02-15 17:21     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2019-02-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jounijl; +Cc: musl

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:31:22AM +0000, jounijl@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Exactly. To be complite:
>
> The host machine prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a
> core file. Uses: /lib/libc.so.7
> The Alpine prints: "Arithmetic exception".  Uses: /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1
> Solaris 10 prints: "Arithmetic exception". Uses: /lib/libc.so.1 ;
> /lib/libm.so.2
> Ubuntu prints: "Floating point exception" and outputs a core file.
> Uses: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
>
> To the question "what do you except":
> Of course the behaviour is similar to others and this is correct. As
> in programs the behaviour would be best like this: number%zero would
> be the number it self when number/zero is undefined or infinity
> (maby set the number to the largest known number). To change this,
> some mathematical evaluation would be needed. Answer: mod 0:
> Convenient would be the number it self ?

This has nothing to do with musl or library implementation; what
you're asking for is a *compiler* that defines certain undefined
behavior in a particular way. Even if you had such a thing, writing C
code in order to depend on nonstandard behavior of a particular
compiler would not be a reasonable thing to do.

A better way to achieve the same thing would be just writing a
function that does what you want:

int my_mod(int a, int b)
{
	if (!b) return a;
	else if (b==-1) return 0;
	else return a%b;
}

and using that instead of using the % operator directly. If you need
it to work in constant expression contexts, you could use a macro
instead:

#define MY_MOD(a,b) (!(b) ? (a) : (b)==-1 ? 0 : (a)%(b))

Rich