mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] No .h dependency in Makeifle
@ 2020-03-04 12:06 khvluu+8f5rqrzfwl55o
From: khvluu+8f5rqrzfwl55o @ 2020-03-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Makefile is efficient and short.

But maybe a comment is necessary, that no .h dependency was (auto) generated.

Thus, modifying stdio.h for example will not trigger any build.

----
Sent using Guerrillamail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com//abuse/?a=TFRnCS0MSqcBm0C74HsRZRXLQYST3do%3D

* Re: [musl] No .h dependency in Makeifle
@ 2020-03-04 13:22 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2020-03-04 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 12:06:50PM +0000, khvluu+8f5rqrzfwl55o@guerrillamail.com wrote:
> Makefile is efficient and short.
>
> But maybe a comment is necessary, that no .h dependency was (auto) generated.
>
> Thus, modifying stdio.h for example will not trigger any build.

This was largely set aside because, for the most part, dependency on
the public (as opposed to internal) headers is not desirable. They are
defining a stable ABI boundary, so changes to them should just be
additions that don't affect existing code, and the code generated
"should not" change as a result of changes to the headers.

In reality, of course, there are some minor ways changes do affect
codegen in ways we want to test (and benefit from) -- for example,
changes to better macro versions of some functions, or bug fixes for
wrong macro definitions (happened for ioctls, fcntl numbers, etc. on
some archs). So I've somewhat wanted to add dependency generation. I'm
just not very familiar with the tooling to do it.

Rich