mailing list of musl libc
From: Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org>
To: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [musl] musl and jemalloc support
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:17:04 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 12:52:27PM -0700, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:48 AM Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:

> > > Thank you for pointing this. Fortunately, it is symlink to libc.
> > >
> > > ls -la usr/lib/libpthread.so
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 X X 7 Mar  5 15:02 usr/lib/libpthread.so -> libc.so
> >
> > That's still wrong. Recent musl will go out of its way to prevent you
> > from shooting yourself in the foot like that, but older musl will blow
> > up horribly. In either case the file should not exist.
>
> OpenEmbedded provides those symlinks (although some are only as part
> of a glibc compatibility package and so not generally exposed to
> users):
>
>   https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-core/musl/musl_git.bb#n73
>
> Is that wrong?

Yes, it's wrong, and will lead to incorrect linking if these symlinks
are present when linking applications. Their presence does not help
with anything (glibc compat or otherwise) because musl's dynamic
linker intercepts these names and does not search for files.

If you really really really think you need them for some runtime
reason for some application, they should probably be empty .so files
rather than symlinks to libc, and they should be in a directory where
they won't be searched by ld at link time. But it's almost certain
that whatever the motivation for putting them there in the first place
was based on a misunderstanding.

Rich