mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] User mode linux error when compiled with musl
@ 2020-03-30 17:21 Johann Hanne
From: Johann Hanne @ 2020-03-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,

I'm compiling user mode linux (kernel 5.5) against musl (toolchain from
musl.cc, tried gcc 6 and gcc 9) and getting the following error when
booting:
--
Run /init as init process
userspace - ptrace set fp regs failed, errno = 14

build command: make ARCH=um LD_FLAGS_CMDLINE="-static"
CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-linux-musl-

run command: ./linux initrd=test.cpio.gz

test.cpio.gz contains a statically linked "Hello world" init, which
works when UML is built against the host cc with glibc (Ubuntu 16.04,
gcc 5, also with "-static").

Any ideas?

Regards,
   Johann

* Re: [musl] User mode linux error when compiled with musl
@ 2020-03-31 17:42 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2020-03-31 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 07:21:48PM +0200, Johann Hanne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm compiling user mode linux (kernel 5.5) against musl (toolchain
> from musl.cc, tried gcc 6 and gcc 9) and getting the following error
> when booting:
> --
> Run /init as init process
> userspace - ptrace set fp regs failed, errno = 14
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b
> --
>
> build command: make ARCH=um LD_FLAGS_CMDLINE="-static"
> CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-linux-musl-
>
> run command: ./linux initrd=test.cpio.gz
>
> test.cpio.gz contains a statically linked "Hello world" init, which
> works when UML is built against the host cc with glibc (Ubuntu
> 16.04, gcc 5, also with "-static").
>
> Any ideas?

Sorry, I don't have any and don't know enough about how UML works to
have a good guess. I'd start by trying to identify exactly where that
error message is coming from (probably somewhere in kernel code) and
look for what leads up to it.

Rich