mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] Aalbus linux : a musl/llvm libc++ based distro
@ 2021-01-07  4:27 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2021-01-07  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Dear all,
I just released a first tarball of my new attempts at building Aalbus. I
had done a version before (~2019) based on gentoo-musl but this one is
really from scratch.

https://github.com/Aalbus-linux/Aalbus/releases/tag/0.1-alpha

For a list of included packages, see README.md here:
https://github.com/Aalbus-linux/Aalbus/blob/main/README.md

Based on the recent announcements of compiler-rt being fixed for musl I
think it is relatively timely. At this moment I am using the ngtc
patches but hope to re-build the toolchain soon with the upstream
solution.

I am also experimenting with building musl libc with kati + samurai
(Ninja) as an alternative to gmake (default make in Aalbus is bmake).

If you think about something else that might be interesting to include
in the base system I am all ears. The aim is to be as BSD-like as
possible in the userland.

* [musl] Re: Aalbus linux : a musl/llvm libc++ based distro
@ 2021-01-08 10:01 ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2021-01-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 05:27:35AM +0100, Jens Staal wrote:

> Based on the recent announcements of compiler-rt being fixed for musl I
> think it is relatively timely. At this moment I am using the ngtc
> patches but hope to re-build the toolchain soon with the upstream
> solution.

It has now been rebuilt with upstream so vanilla llvm seems to work now.

> I am also experimenting with building musl libc with kati + samurai
> (Ninja) as an alternative to gmake (default make in Aalbus is bmake).

If anyone is interested, this is the error output I get at the moment
when I try to build musl with ckati instead of gmake:

ld.lld: error: undefined hidden symbol: __dls2
>>> referenced by dlstart.c
>>>               lto.tmp:(_dlstart_c)
>>> did you mean: __dls3
>>> defined in: lto.tmp
clang-12: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [lib/libc.so] Error 1

so something ckati does with the ld.lld linker in the generation of the
build.ninja file is not working for musl. The linker is working and ckati is
working on other projects (including itself)

* [musl] Re: Aalbus linux : a musl/llvm libc++ based distro
@ 2021-01-08 10:08   ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2021-01-08 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 11:01:45AM +0100, Jens Staal wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 05:27:35AM +0100, Jens Staal wrote:
> >
> > Based on the recent announcements of compiler-rt being fixed for musl I
> > think it is relatively timely. At this moment I am using the ngtc
> > patches but hope to re-build the toolchain soon with the upstream
> > solution.
> >

> It has now been rebuilt with upstream so vanilla llvm seems to work now.
>
> > I am also experimenting with building musl libc with kati + samurai
> > (Ninja) as an alternative to gmake (default make in Aalbus is bmake).
> >

> If anyone is interested, this is the error output I get at the moment
> when I try to build musl with ckati instead of gmake:
>
> ld.lld: error: undefined hidden symbol: __dls2
> clang-12: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> *** [lib/libc.so] Error 1

Oops sorry about the noise. Just when I wrote this, I saw that Gentoo
had hit the same bug with musl when -flto is set in CFLAGS. Removing
that actually makes it work!

So ckati CAN be used as an alternative to gmake for musl.