mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] Failing assertions in get_meta
@ 2021-07-20 19:19 Christopher Hodgkins
From: Christopher Hodgkins @ 2021-07-20 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,
I'm working on a modified version of musl for some research.
We replaced the typical memory provisioning methods (mmap/brk)
with our own versions which change the backing of the provided memory,
but maintain the same semantics from the perspective of the caller,
except that the program break is no longer adjacent to the rest of the
mapped binary.

We have been encountering various failed assertions in mallocng during
debugging
in the get_meta function. Specifically, we see the assertion at line 141 in
meta.h (meta == mem->base)
failing when free()-ing memory previously allocated with malloc(),
and the assertion at line 131 ( !((uintptr_t)p & 15) ) failing for calls to
posix_memalign
with an alignment of 16 and a length of 704. Could our changes in the
backing of provisioned memory cause this?

Related question: We are aware of (and have disabled) the "donation"
functionality in the loader.
Are there other out-of-band (i.e. not mmap/sbrk) sources of memory used by
mallocng?
The errors are caused in some way by our changes, but we haven't changed
anything inside the allocator,
except to point the brk() macro to our own implementation rather than the
syscall.
So I assume there must be either some memory getting used that we don't
know about,
or some error in our implementation.

Thanks for your assistance,
George

Build info:
Working from commit 1f0c7cb1cc2170bf230623dc0b57d9a9f001af08 on master
(HEAD at time of writing).
Installed at /usr in a Docker container running Alpine Linux 3.14 on x86_64.
Musl was compiled with --enable-debug and -O0. Our test programs are
compiled with normal gcc inside the
container after installing musl.

* Re: [musl] Failing assertions in get_meta
@ 2021-07-20 23:40 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2021-07-20 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Hodgkins; +Cc: musl

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 01:19:58PM -0600, Christopher Hodgkins wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on a modified version of musl for some research.
> We replaced the typical memory provisioning methods (mmap/brk)
> with our own versions which change the backing of the provided memory,
> but maintain the same semantics from the perspective of the caller,
> except that the program break is no longer adjacent to the rest of the
> mapped binary.
>
> We have been encountering various failed assertions in mallocng during
> debugging
> in the get_meta function. Specifically, we see the assertion at line 141 in
> meta.h (meta == mem->base)
> failing when free()-ing memory previously allocated with malloc(),

If this assertion fails, it means that the group header's pointer to
the out-of-band metadata is either pointing to the wrong place (e.g.
because it was overwritten by some out-of-bounds access to allocated
memory) or points to the correct metadata location but the structure
at the location has been overwritten.

> and the assertion at line 131 ( !((uintptr_t)p & 15) ) failing for calls to
> posix_memalign
> with an alignment of 16 and a length of 704. Could our changes in the
> backing of provisioned memory cause this?

Perhaps, if you're not following the semantics of mmap (that it yield
page-aligned, page-granular memory) or not honoring the obligation to
faithfully store data written to the memory. Without knowing the
specifics of your modification it's hard to say.

> Related question: We are aware of (and have disabled) the "donation"
> functionality in the loader.
> Are there other out-of-band (i.e. not mmap/sbrk) sources of memory used by
> mallocng?

No.

> The errors are caused in some way by our changes, but we haven't changed
> anything inside the allocator,
> except to point the brk() macro to our own implementation rather than the
> syscall.

You could try disabling brk entirely by making it never return a value
equal to its argument, as in:

#define brk(p) ((p)-1)

This would help determine if your problem is caused by your brk or
something else.

Rich