mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] Is systemd in scope for musl?
@ 2021-08-20 18:55 Olivier Galibert
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Olivier Galibert @ 2021-08-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I'm trying to build a kinda-distribution of linux on arm64 where all the
userspace is done with clang and which uses systemd[1].  I can either use
glibc or musl.  Glibc aggressively does not want to be compiled by anything
else than gcc.  Musl is missing a bunch of stuff systemd wants.

I have two possibilities, either make glibc work but not contribute the
changes (because I don't want to give my copyright to the fsf[2]) or extend
musl until it has all the missing APIs and contribute them.  I'd rather do
the latter.

Some APIs (qsort_r) are clearly going to be added in the future.  Others
are very glibc, e.g. printf configurability stuff, and do not come from any
standard.  So, is "this API is used by systemd" a good enough reason to
accept it as in-scope for musl[3] or will there be things that are "never"
going to be accepted?

Best regards,

  OG.

[1] This list is not the place to bitch about systemd or my hobby choices
[2] This list is not the place to bitch about the FSF copyright policies
either
[3] Patches have to be good by themselves, of course