mailing list of musl libc
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [musl] nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented
@ 2021-04-08 16:02 Sören Tempel
  2021-09-03 14:50 ` [musl] " Sören Tempel
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Sören Tempel @ 2021-04-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,

The musl implementation of nftw does presently not implement the
FTW_CHDIR flag, which is mandated by POSIX. Unfortunately, musl does
define this macro in the ftw.h header file which makes software using
this flag compile but causes unexpected failures at run-time.
Implementing this feature would likely require a larger overhaul of the
current nftw implementation. Maybe it makes sense to remove the
FTW_CHDIR macro from ftw.h as a short-term workaround in the meantime to
prevent cumbersome run-time failures?

Greetings,
Sören

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [musl] Re: nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented
  2021-04-08 16:02 [musl] nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented Sören Tempel
@ 2021-09-03 14:50 ` Sören Tempel
  2021-09-03 18:26   ` Ariadne Conill
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Sören Tempel @ 2021-09-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Sören Tempel <soeren@soeren-tempel.net> wrote:
> The musl implementation of nftw does presently not implement the
> FTW_CHDIR flag, which is mandated by POSIX. Unfortunately, musl does
> define this macro in the ftw.h header file which makes software using
> this flag compile but causes unexpected failures at run-time.

Ping. Any chance this could be fixed in the next release?

Greetings,
Sören

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [musl] Re: nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented
  2021-09-03 14:50 ` [musl] " Sören Tempel
@ 2021-09-03 18:26   ` Ariadne Conill
  2021-09-04 15:04     ` Sören Tempel
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Ariadne Conill @ 2021-09-03 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 578 bytes --]

Hi,

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021, Sören Tempel wrote:

> Sören Tempel <soeren@soeren-tempel.net> wrote:
>> The musl implementation of nftw does presently not implement the
>> FTW_CHDIR flag, which is mandated by POSIX. Unfortunately, musl does
>> define this macro in the ftw.h header file which makes software using
>> this flag compile but causes unexpected failures at run-time.
>
> Ping. Any chance this could be fixed in the next release?

I can write a patch for it if we don't have one already.  It would be nice 
to get this one fixed in the Alpine 3.15 release cycle.

Ariadne

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [musl] Re: nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented
  2021-09-03 18:26   ` Ariadne Conill
@ 2021-09-04 15:04     ` Sören Tempel
  2021-09-24  0:15       ` Rich Felker
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Sören Tempel @ 2021-09-04 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I can write a patch for it if we don't have one already.  It would be nice 
> to get this one fixed in the Alpine 3.15 release cycle.

No, we don't have one yet. Feel free to write one! :)

Greetings,
Sören

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [musl] Re: nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented
  2021-09-04 15:04     ` Sören Tempel
@ 2021-09-24  0:15       ` Rich Felker
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Rich Felker @ 2021-09-24  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sat, Sep 04, 2021 at 05:04:21PM +0200, Sören Tempel wrote:
> Ariadne Conill <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> 
> Hello,
> 
> > I can write a patch for it if we don't have one already.  It would be nice 
> > to get this one fixed in the Alpine 3.15 release cycle.
> 
> No, we don't have one yet. Feel free to write one! :)

If it's simple enough I don't mind reviewing it, but I'd really like
to rewrite this whole function to use an explicit stack. As it is now,
it blows away the stack badly on deep trees unless you ensure it's
only called from threads with rather large stacks. There's no good
reason for such a limitation, especially on a system with a PATH_MAX.

Having just written dir tree walking code for another project, I've
got this on my mind, and might try doing it sometime soon.

Rich

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-09-24  0:16 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-04-08 16:02 [musl] nftw: FTW_CHDIR defined but not implemented Sören Tempel
2021-09-03 14:50 ` [musl] " Sören Tempel
2021-09-03 18:26   ` Ariadne Conill
2021-09-04 15:04     ` Sören Tempel
2021-09-24  0:15       ` Rich Felker

mailing list of musl libc

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.vuxu.org/musl

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 musl musl/ https://inbox.vuxu.org/musl \
		musl@inbox.vuxu.org
	public-inbox-index musl

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.musl


code repositories for the project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.vuxu.org/mirror/musl/

AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git