mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] Current state and future of musl development infrastructure
@ 2021-12-15 21:22 jvoisin
From: jvoisin @ 2021-12-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hello everyone,

I had some small chitchat with dalias on irc, both on #musl and
privately about the ideal infrastructure for musl development, but it's
better to discuss those topics on the mailing list.

I think that everyone agrees that we need a bugtracker, and likely some
CI. Something lightweight (ho heavy dependencies), self-hosted, that can
integrate well with emails/mailing-lists/patch tracking/…

Here is a small selection, feel free to suggest more:

- https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker in Perl
- https://www.bugzilla.org/ no need to present it
- https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht from sourcehut, can be tightly
integrated with other pieces, like mailing lists, git commit/patches/…,
continuous integration, …

dalias is very adamant that CI & testing don't belong in the same repo
as software, but in a separate one.

Most of the forges providing continuous integration (gogs, gitea,
gitlab, …) don't play nice with emails, except sourcehut (
https://sourcehut.org/ ), which is "email first".

Henceforth, I think that a good move forward would be to go with sourcehut:

- easy to self-host (python+go)
- lightweight (both server-side and client-side)
- designed around mailing-list/patches first
- powerful continuous integration, on multiple OS and multiple architectures
- usage documented for newcomers (my generation is used to issuing
pull-requests: sending patches by email is completely alien)
- maintained by some musl users ;)

What do you people think?

--
Julien (jvoisin) Voisin