On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 02:23:54PM -0800, Markus Mayer wrote: > On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 14:12, Florian Fainelli wrote: > > > > > > > > On 1/13/2022 1:53 PM, Alyssa Ross wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > > > On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 01:44:23PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote: > > >> Would you consider allowing git.musl-libc.org to serve the repositories over > > >> https rather than git? For some obscure reasons some corporate environments > > >> do block the git protocol whereas https goes through. > > > > > > You should be able to git clone https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl. > > > It is quite slow though -- since it looks like cgit is serving, this > > > is presumably because cgit's built-in git serving feature only supports > > > the legacy ("dumb") HTTP program, not the fast ("smart") one used by > > > git http-backend, which would be a nice infrastructure improvement. > > > > I don't seem to be able to get cloning from cgit to work either and not > > doing this in the corporate environment I vaguely mentioned but over my > > home residential provider (Cox). git:// works. > > Interestingly, it worked for me. Kind of. It is *extremely* slow. It > took about 15 minutes to clone the repo, which isn't big at all and > should take no more than a minute to transfer (likely a lot less). > > Interestingly, the local clone created via cgit and https is 52 MB in > size while a clone via the git:// protocol is only 20 MB. Something > "interesting" seems to be happening when cloning via cgit. The repo > does seem to be fully functional, though. From what I remember (and take this with a grain of salt, because it's been a long time since I looked into it), the "dumb" HTTP protocol works by downloading pre-built packfiles from a static web server, whereas the "smart" protocol can negotiate exactly the objects it needs with the server. This might explain the size difference. I imagine if you git gc you'll end up with the same size as the git:// clone.