I just posted on libc-coord about an idea that sounded good, and it turns out glibc and nearly everyone else have had it for a long time: https://www.openwall.com/lists/libc-coord/2022/09/19/2 I'd like to bring the same to musl, even though it's not standardized yet, since it's a clear candidate for standardization and solves a major problem with the libc DNS API, namely inability to distinguish NxDomain from NODATA. Aside from that, it should help justify musl's distinguishing of these two (very different) results in how search domain fallbacks work and how results for one of the A or AAAA erroring out get handled. Our misleadingly reporting "name exists but has no address" as "name doesn't exist" has made it hard for folks to understand why we don't keep going on the search when "name does not exist". Draft patch attached, untested.